WEST PALM HISTORIC DISTRICTS
In all of America, within particular cities, there are historic districts that have preserved the cultural heritage of the cities. Historical districts are characterized by sites, homes, buildings, and properties that have been marked as historically or architecturally significant. One of such districts is the West Palm Beach, Florida with a plethora of historic sites. Out of the various places, we have gathered a list of 10 of these historical sites.
Northboro Park Historic District: The development of this district started in 1923 and was started by local contractors. It was the second district added to the list in 1992 and has homes designed in the Mediterranean revival style as well as mission and frame vernacular style. Today, it is also known as the extension of the Old Northwood.
Central Park Historic District: In 1926, it became a part of the West Palm Beach historic districts, but before then it was just a land purchased for just $367.20 in 1884. Ownership of the land was transferred among different people until development finally started in 1919. As of today, the Central Park District is made of many subdivisions.
Flamingo Park Historic District: One would expect to see a lot of flamingos in this district, but that is not the case. This district is well known for its vast pineapple plantation and was added to the West Palm Beach Historic District the same year El Cid was declared a part. It also shared a similarity with the El Cid regarding mission and Mediterranean style of homes built.
Grandview Heights Historic District: The development of this district dated back to 1910, and it is known as one of the oldest districts on the list. It was declared a part of West Palm Beach Historic District in 1995.
Mango Promenade Historic District: This is a classic historical site that was declared as part of the list in 1995. It is situated very close to the Palm Beach Atlantic University.
El Cid Historic District: The El Cid historic district became a part of the West Palm District three years before the Clematis District, 1993. It is a beautiful place that features mission-style, Spanish and Mediterranean types of homes and architecture. It was named after a prestigious hero, Rodrigo Diaz de Bivar, who helped to defeat Valencia in 1904.
Northwest Historic District: This district has a rich cultural background. It was developed in1894 and was the abode of the black community separated from every other citizen between 1929 and 1960. It was also the first registered Historic district.
Old Northwood Historic District: It was declared a part of the Historic district in 1991. It was developed at the time that the real estate business in West Palm was still flourishing from 1920 to 1927. The style of houses built there was the Mediterranean, frame vernacular and mission style. A company named Pinewood Development Co. started the development while other great architects like William Manly king, Henry Steven Harvey, and John Volk developed other houses.
Bel Air Historic District: The history of this region dated back to as far as 1925 through 1935. It was developed as a place meant for the tradesmen and Realtors. A significant historic site in this region is the pineapple plantation and was officially declared in 1993 as West Palm Beach's fourth historical district.
Clematis Street Historic District: The majority of the buildings in this district are known to have the style of the distinctive and exceptional 20th-century architecture. It was added to the list of West Palm Historic districts in 1996 and is reputable for its amazing boutiques, cafeterias, and landmarks. It is indeed a sight to behold and a place to be.